WELLNESS RELEASE TIME
Wellness Release Time provides all full-time (40 hours/week), benefits-eligible, Texas A&M employees the opportunity to use 30 minutes of their regular work hours, up to three (3) times a week, to exercise or participate in physical fitness activities. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, benefits of physical activity include control of weight, reduced cardiovascular disease, reduced health risk factors, improved mental health and mood, stronger bones and muscles, and increased chances of longer and higher quality of life.
Wellness Release Time affords employees time to focus on physical activity to reap the health benefits which in turns helps Texas A&M University maintain a healthy workforce.
- Employees and their supervisor should work together to establish an appropriate arrangement for the use of Wellness Release Time along with any applicable work schedules.
- Prior to participation in Wellness Release Time, employees are encouraged to consult with a physician before undertaking any physical activity program.
- Physical fitness activities include any activities designed to maintain or improve strength, flexibility, balance, endurance, or cardiovascular fitness, and to sustain or increase physical fitness.
- Wellness Release Time is paid time that does not have to be made up. It may not be accrued, carried over or banked.
- Wellness Release Time is not considered work time for purposes of Workers’ Compensation. Injuries that may result during participation will not be treated as work-related injuries.
- When feasible, Wellness Release Time should be taken in conjunction with the start or end of the work day or an addition to the lunch break.
WELLNESS RELEASE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM
Specifics of the Wellness Release Time arrangement are established between the employee and their immediate supervisor. Employees participating in Wellness Release time will acknowledge their participation on the Wellness Release Time Acknowledgement form, which will be kept in the employee’s personnel file. Wellness Release Time participation will remain in effect as agreed upon by the employee and supervisor until specific circumstances require a reevaluation.